Monday, June 1, 2009

SCOUT'S STORY


Scout came to us about 10 years ago. My sister lives in the country and many animals are "left" out there...we believe that is what happened with Scout. He was hanging out by my sister's house and she was leaving food out for him and eventually she was able to catch him. I believe she called the local humane society to see if anyone was missing a pet...she knew that we already had "jacks" and what's one more to our crew, at that time of 3...so we picked him up and went on the Internet to find a name for him... SCOUT seemed perfect... He knew to sit and come and quickly learned more. For the longest time when a hand came towards him, he would roll on his back and pee...he seemed afraid... He was a quiet boy...got along with the others well and had very good table manners. When offered a treat...he would gently take it out of your hand..


He LOVED to be outside...and he was a Hunter and Scouted the yard...looking for critters to get and he sure did...bunnies, birds, frogs....whatever that came into the yard was HIS!!! We tried to prevent him from eating them...and that could be a fight to remove the animal from him. We don't know how long he was living in the country and feel he ate animals to keep alive...not sure...just seems like that. Last year and now again this spring he started to dig up bugs and worms and eat them...


We could see him slow down, his hearing wasn't good and eyes were getting dim...Scout was also Very Camera SHY... He was my shadow, he would sit by me and follow me around the house.


It's quieter now with just Mack and Jackson Brown...and it was hard to take only 2 boys for a walk yesterday...


Thank you so much for your prayers, love, support and for the poem, Toni.....I'm crying now as I type this post..I'm glad God made fur-babies for us to love and for their unconditional love for us..Just like God's Love for US.
These photos are from Saturday morning before the vet trip. Enjoying the beautiful day with our little Scout :)
Warmly,
Deb

19 comments:

Sher said...

So sorry, Sweetie. I know it's hard. ((Hugs))
Sher

Michele said...

Oh my gosh Sis...I'm sooooo sorry. Scout was such a cutie pie. I wish I was there to give you a hug...I don't know what I would do without my little fur baby.

FYI...the shot is working wonders! I got alot of work done around the house this weekend!

Hugz,
Lil Sis

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Oh Deb, he was such a cutie. I'm glad you shared those last pictures of him with us. So sad. I know he was thankful to you for giving him the life that he had. Love to you, Twyla

Kathi said...

Thanks for sharing Scout's story with us. You didn't tell us why you had to put him down...Could you share that too?

Viv (VivLyn) said...

My heart goes out to you and your family! I know how much our pets can mean to us! He certainly was a cute guy. {{{Hugs}}}

linda said...

Scout was beautiful and it breaks my heart to think of you now without him. As much work as Jake is, my eyes are watery right now just thinking about how much these fur babies mean to us. Thank goodness for our little guys.

AngelMc said...

Really there is nothing quite like loving a dog or having a dog love you. And yes I think they can love. So sorry for your loss.

Kelli said...

I am very sorry to hear about your sweet Scout. (((hugs)))
~Kelli

*Noelle* said...

awwww, sorry to hear about your doggie:(

big hugs,
noelle ♥

This simple Life said...

Sounds like a real survivor.
How lucky you were to have him.

Angie said...

He was lucky to find you guys. What great happiness you brought to his little heart..always remember that when some days are harder than others. Animals are such amazing fountains of unconditionl love. We are blessed to share our lives with them. Sending more long distance hugs your way...

Hugs & Love, Angie

Brenda said...

I'm so sorry. My eyes are welling up at the thought of your loss. He was so adorably sweet. Yes, we're so blessed to have our fur-babies, for however long they are with us. We must love and enjoy and be good to them. Wish we could find a way to rescue them all! I send you an animal-lover hug.
Brenda

LillyB said...

I'm so sorry Deb!! In times like these I have to remember the verse "To everything there is a season" from Ecclesiates 3:1-8
Scout made your life better and you and your sweet family made his life better! It will be okay. You have such a good heart...makes me proud to be your blog sister!
Love Lilly

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I know how sad I would feel if it were our "Jack" (Rambo). He is my shadow also. Love and prayers...m.

Joy said...

So very sorry to hear about your Scout. We have a ten year old dog too who has gotten so slow and arthritic just in the last year or so.. big hugs to you!!

bee'nme said...

Oh Deb, I am so very sorry for your loss... I'm glad you shared Scout's story - what a lovely tribute. You guys were so generous and loving to take him into your home, and the Lord rewarded you with a sweet, loving companion for 10 great years! I will pray for you and your family as you adjust to one less fur-baby underfoot. God bless you guys...

Love and big hugs,
Becky S.

PS - Deb, I would be there in a heartbeat to play shopkeeping with you if only I could (and go junkin with you too)...THAT would just be too fun! - Hugs, B

KatCollects said...

Deb,
I am so sorry to read about Scout : ( I know that pets are a part of the family, sending a big hug your way.
Kathy

Ree at Prairie Rose Cottage said...

http://rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

(((HUGS))) to you! Luv~Ree

Neabear said...

I am glad you shared your story of your time with Scout. Sounded like he was a wonderful pet for your family. Precious memories you have of him.