Thursday, December 10, 2009

WHAT were we THINKING...

Sweet little elf on the shelf :) This is a crystal bowl of shinny things...
Okay...this is "my version" of what happened......Hubby was at the antique store a couple of weeks ago and this sweet couple came up to him and asked him if he bought things from private parties....YES....so we went to their home and they had this "Coke Collection"....which we weren't really interested in. We did buy a few smaller items and they said the WHOLE collection was a certain price...

hummmmmmmmmmm...............only that much...not a bad price.............hummm.............


for ALL of this......hummmmm.........SO WE BOUGHT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE don't collect coke items and really don't know about collecting newer items....


It was just too much of a "good deal" (WE HOPE) to pass up....so all that you see in the above pictures are now in our house and we are pricing them and will bring it out on Friday to the antique store and HOPE that it all sells...
See the sweet old table and chairs in the photo above is now in our family room. I have a THING for table and chairs...just ask hubby...of course when my taste changes, we can sell it.
The sad part of this story is the couple who are in their 70's we think, can no longer stay in their wonderful home that they built a few years ago. It was the home they wanted to stay in until they died...now they have to sell it and much of their lovely things. We also bought vintage children book, marbles, postcards, old high chair, wooden shoe forms and a few other things. They have a china cabinet that we would LOVE to purchase...at this time it's more than we are willing to pay. We have NEVER seen one like it. I wish I had taken a photo of it. It has a carved Indian head on it.
Okay....the weekend will be: Friday bring things out to the antique store, Sat from 9-1 work at HQ then off to see Kailee's cheer leading program, Sunday usher at church...then next week ME time...ha ha...finish shopping, mail greeting cards...you know...BAKING...and whatever else I want to do. Bible studies are done until next year so that give me 2 free mornings.
We have snow and it's very pretty...and it's COLD....so I'm staying in until I have to get Kailee from school this afternoon.
I know it's only Thursday...but I'm wishing you a ...
HAPPY WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!
PEACE, JOY and Merry Christmas....
Warmly,
Deb :)

22 comments:

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

We all have those "what were we thinking" moments. I know I have them quite often. :)

I think Coke collections are cool.
Sue

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

We all have those "what were we thinking" moments. I know I have them quite often. :)

I think Coke collections are cool.
Sue

Theresa said...

I would think you will be able to sell ALL of it that you want to sell and hopefully make some good loot:) Have a warm and wonderful day and a prosperous weekend!

goldenbird said...

It sounds like you helped the couple out financially by buying their Coke collection and other items. That was a generous thing to do. Your "me" time next week sounds like it's all filled up. Hope you have a nice weekend too, Deb, and have lots of sales.

Holly- Girls At Heart said...

Aw, so sad they couldn't stay in their home! Hope the collection turns out to be a blessing for you! ♥

Barb said...

I wish I had half the energy you seem to have! The collection you bought is huge, I bet it will sell well!

Queenie said...

Hey Deb...
Oh the elf is so cute, I'm lovin' the shiny mix of ornies and crystal too! That's pretty! That is wonderful that you and the hubby got all of that coke stuff to sell...I hope you sell it all! The table and chairs is so pretty too...I love old sets like that.
Your swap gifts are adorable...the little house pot holder is too cute cute, and so are the tags that she made!
How sweet that your sister put your girls' picture from Christmas Past onto an ornament...that's a priceless treasure for sure!
Well, Be careful driving in all that snow...(I've never done that, and don't know how to either, I often wonder if I'd be able to do that and what it feels like to drive on snow!) We've only had snow in the deep south in my lifetime of 39 years, twice, however I did live in Alaska for 2 years when I was a toddler, and I still remember how fun, playing in the snow was. I'll always be dreaming of a white Christmas. It looks like you all will be getting a white Christmas this year! Hope you Have a wonderful day Deb, talk to you again soon!
Big Hugs,
Queenie

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I hope you sell it all. Have a Blessed weekend...m...

Margaret Cloud said...

It seems to me this was a once in a life time, to be invited into an old persons home full of treasures, you are so lucky. I only know one other person, that was my husbands sister, the lady in her 80s ask her if they wanted to buy her home with everything in it, antiques and all, talk about a windfall. I always love the things you have on your post. I wish you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I want to say I feel sorry for those old people and said a prayer for them.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Deb, that was a wonderful collection you bought. I'm sure it will sell. I am salivating over the fact that you bought postcards and children's books too! It is a sad story. So nice of you to help them out. I wish them all the best. Twyla

Linda said...

What an awesome collection, someone is sure to snap it up. Your new table and chairs looks so nice...I like the design in the chair backs. Enjoy.
Deb, you are so busy...but I'm glad you have a bit of me time next week...I love this time of year...hugs, Linda

Miss Rhea said...

How wonderful that the couple were Blessed by your visit :) I have more than, what was I thinking moments, lol !! :) Hugs :) :)

Richard @ The Bewildered Brit said...

So sad that they couldn't stay in their home.

But Coke memorabilia is always a good investment. I'm sure you'll do well out of it.

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow what a great collection. But how very sad for the sweet couple. It seems to be happening more and more.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

The Queen of Clearance. said...

wow, must have been a great deal! My mom loves coke! Not necessarily coke stuff but she is addicted to drinking the stuff!

THE HOME THAT LOVE BUILT said...

Looks like a sweet deal for you Deb. Have a fun weekend! Brook

~~Carol~~ said...

I'm sure you'll do well selling the Coke stuff, Deb! My sister collected it for a while, and then she sold it all at her garage sale. Someone came along and bought it all, just like you!

My Vintage Studio said...

Hi Deb,
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year!

Sharon

Terra said...

This is such a good moment, for you to buy and really to "rescue" the Coke items.
How nice these items will stay together and be appreciated. Will you maybe buy the cabinet you mentioned, that was a bit pricey?
Glad you enjoyed my Christmas card, I like meeting bloggy friends.
And today, I see we both like the Dearest Dorothy books, Yada Yada Sisters books and the very much missed Tasha Tudor.

Creative Breathing said...

Oh my goodness! I hope, hope, hope you have success selling YOUR new Coke collection! This is such a funny story! Keep us posted! Have a wonderful week! Elizabeth

Sher said...

Regardless of how long we're in "the business", we all continue to occasionally have those moments! If it doesn't work out financially, at least you're able to enjoy them for awhile before selling them. Kinda cushions the $$ loss a little. ; )
hugs,
Sher

ERASISTIBLE said...

You really know how to enjoy life and make things fun for your family. Nice.